News

Ohio man sentenced after video confession in fatal crash

Ohio man sentenced after video confession in fatal crash

CORDLE SENTENCED: Matthew Cordle is sentenced to more than six years in prison for a fatal crash. Photo: YouTube

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio man whose online video confession went viral was sentenced on Wednesday to more than six years in prison.

Matthew Cordle was sentenced to 6 1/2 years for a June crash that killed 61-year-old Vincent Canzani.

Cordle had been drinking the night of the wreck and was more than two times the legal limit when he drove the wrong way on Interstate 670 in Columbus, striking Canzani’s car and killing him.

He recorded a confession video through the help of the Because I Said I Would website that has been viewed millions of times.

Canzani’s daughter, Angela Canzani, spoke during Cordle’s sentencing and said his online confession video shouldn’t allow him to receive a lighter sentence.

The Franklin County Prosecutor has asked Judge David Fais for the maximum eight years, saying Cordle drove despite a history of blackouts after heavy drinking.

Cordle’s attorneys asked for a sentence below the maximum to send a message about the value of taking responsibility for a tragedy.

Cordle pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide and driving a vehicle under the influence of alcohol. He publicly apologized to the Canzani family during a statement made in court on Wednesday.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Third ‘Night at the Museum’ marks final film for Williams, Rooney

nightatthemuseum

The credits for "Secret of the Tomb," which opens Friday, read "In loving memory of Mickey Rooney," and "For Robin Williams - the magic never ends."

in Music

Gene Simmons credits mother for drug-free life

Gene Simmons speaks onstage during the "4th and Loud" portion of the AMC 2014 Summer TCA on Friday, July 11, 2014, in Beverly Hills, Calif.

The Kiss frontman insists he has never been drunk or gotten high because he always worried about his mom's reaction.

in Music

Joan Jett to open for The Who’s 50th anniversary tour

joan

The "My Generation" hitmakers are set to bring their The Who Hits 50! tour to North America.

in Entertainment

Chris Pratt thought ‘Guardians’ would be a box office flop

Guardians Of The Galaxy

The "Parks and Rec" star was very, very wrong.

in Entertainment

Sony cancels ‘The Interview’ in win for N. Korean hackers

interview

The $44 million raunchy comedy was scheduled to debut on Christmas Day.